skip naar content skip naar hoofdnavigatie spring naar service navigatie
sluit
Hulp nodig?

Chat is online op maandag t/m vrijdag van 10.00 - 16.00 uur en van 19.00 - 22.00 uur.

Op dit moment zijn we offline. Je kunt je vraag stellen via e-mail of WhatsApp: 06-12887717 (alleen berichtjes)

Meer informatie over de chat-service? Klik hier

Online op dit moment

Stel je vraag

Saskia Green
Saskia Green Bhic
Menu
sluit
Hulp nodig?

Chat is online op maandag t/m vrijdag van 10.00 - 16.00 uur en van 19.00 - 22.00 uur.

Op dit moment zijn we offline. Je kunt je vraag stellen via e-mail of WhatsApp: 06-12887717 (alleen berichtjes)

Meer informatie over de chat-service? Klik hier

Online op dit moment

Stel je vraag

Saskia Green
Saskia Green Bhic

Christoffel Harmenszen Indenture 1652 Amsterdam

Rebecca Johnson
Rebecca Johnson vertelde op 16 april 2017 om 19:17 uur
I have been searching the Inventarissen in hopes of locating the Indenture Contract for my 10th Great-grandfather, Christoffel Harmenszen, who emigrated from Amsterdam to New Utrecht, New York in 1652. Sadly, he was killed by Indians 3 years later, in 1655, during the Peach War but my 9th Great-grandfather, Gerret Stoffelszen (VanSant) lived to father 10 children, 9 boys, 1 girl, thus becoming the father of all the VanSants/VanZants/VanZandt/Santonas in the United States. Christoffel's first wife, Moderke Gerrits, died shortly after giving birth to Gerret in 1644 in Amsterdam.

In 1645, Christoffel married secondly to Trijntje Claes. They had a daughter in 1646 in Amsterdam, Claestien Stoffels, who must have died young since she did not accompany her parents to America.

I am searching based on a research document which included the following:

"From the Notarial Archives of Amsterdam - 1652 April 16. Abraham De Wijs, merchant in Amsterdam, in the name of Cornelis De Potter, his brother -in-law, who lives in the Manhattans in New Netherland. He takes into service for him: Christoffel Harmens and Trijinje Claes to work there for De Potter. Also their son Gerrit Christoffels, 8 years old, shall work with them. This is for a time period of three years, at 200 Carolus guilders per year. Free board and room."

Any ideas where I could look to find the actual Indenture document? I understand that it may have been on microfilm but that was 17 years ago and my hope is that it has been transferred to a digital image by now.

Reacties (29)

Rebecca Johnson
Rebecca Johnson zei op 16 april 2017 om 19:27
From the same research paper:

"The Minutes of the Orphanmasters of New Amsterdam, 1655 to 1663, Volume 1-- By New York (N.Y.). Orphan Masters, Walewyn Van der Veen--pg 31--Meeting of the Orphanmasters May 11, 1657.

Whereas Tryntie Clasen, widow of Stoffel Harmensen, cloth worker, perished in the attack of the Indians in 1655, now intends to marry Rut Joosten van Brunt, bachellor, whereas said Stoffel Harmensen has left with Tryntie Clasen a minor son, by his first wife about 12 years old, and whereas the testament of said Stoffel, made before Notary Judicq van der Vin and witnesses at Amsterdam July 10, 1649, and shown to the Orphanmasters of this City, shows that said boy should have one half of his deceased father's estate,

Therefore it is deemed necessary, that impartial parties should either by inventory or appraisement of the estate, left by said Stoffel Harmensen, look into and settle the child's share.

For this purpose the Orphanmasters have requested and commissioned, as they hereby do, Sieur Johannes Nevius and Jacques Corteljou, conscientiously to settle as guardians with said Tryntie Clasen what is coming to said child from the estate of his father, etc etc etc. Done etc."
HenkD zei op 16 april 2017 om 22:54
Reads like a novel -> nice piece of history Rebecca.
But I'm puzzled. What do you mean with: "Indenture Contract".
It seems (to me) unlikely that Christoffel Harmenszen was actually employed by Cornelis De Potter via a contract like you mentioned.
Could it be a passe-partout to enter?

Nevertheless you say that this document has been filmed 17 years ago (sounds like yet another church which cherish the last saints ;)
Think that this document (as a part of the Notarial Archives of Amsterdam) can be found at the Amsterdam archives. If it is still a sideletter to the 16 april 1652 document.
If you need help to approach them -> just let us know.

Must ask: what does ASL mean?
Rebecca Johnson
Rebecca Johnson zei op 16 april 2017 om 23:22
Hi Henk. I am not familiar with "passe-partout?" Do you mean a passport to leave?

The other piece of information I have about the contract is:
"The following abstract, from the records of notary S. Van Nieuwland, Gemeente Archief Amsterdam"

AND

"Son of Christoffel VanZANDT and Moederke GERRITS. Arrived in NY in 1651, was indentured with his parents for 3 years at age eight."

Everything I have suggests he was indentured perhaps as par of the family's passage fee to America?

ASL: I am Deaf. ASL = American Sign Language but I am from Canada and we use ASL here as well.
Rebecca Johnson
Rebecca Johnson zei op 16 april 2017 om 23:26
"part of the passage fee" not 'par.'

Is the: "Notarial Archives of Amsterdam) can be found at the Amsterdam archives" the same as this website: https://archief.amsterdam/inventarissen/
Helena zei op 17 april 2017 om 00:52
Interesting!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentured_servitude
'..Between one-half and two-thirds of white immigrants to the American colonies between the 1630s and American Revolution had come under indentures'
Helena zei op 17 april 2017 om 01:10
and more... - Alas..not all digitalised (yet).
Rebecca zei op 17 april 2017 om 02:10
Helena! How did you find that so fast? I must not be using the right data to search because I could not find that section of documents. Off to read what you found. Thank you!
Rebecca zei op 17 april 2017 om 02:52
I did that too but I was using the names Christoffel Harmanszen, Abraham De Wijs and Cornelis De Potter, but it was 11:30 PM and I was tired so did not pick up on the fact that the notary was S. van Nieuwland.
Rebecca Johnson
Rebecca Johnson zei op 17 april 2017 om 18:28
This website: https://bit.pub/notarieel.archief.amsterdam

Is in the process of transcribing notarial documents in partnership with New York Archives but from what I could search it does not look like the documents of notary S. van Nieuwland are completed yet.

Another document I am trying to track down is the one referred to in this excerpt from a research paper:
"A note in the margin of this record states that the groom made a declaration before the Orphan’s Chamber on September 6, 1645 which gives further confirmation that he had a child. Stoffel and Trijntje Claes were married in the Old Church on September 24, 1645."

The marriage record for 29 Sep 1645 (I think 24th was a mistake) is here (entry on the top right): https://archief.amsterdam/indexen/ondertrouwregisters_1565-1811/zoek/query.nl.pl?i1=1&v1=*stoff*&a1=harm*&r1=61&i2=2&p2=p&y2=1645&z2=1645&x=20&z=b#A22927000139

Where might I find "the Orphan’s Chamber"? Would that also be in the notary archives?
HenkD zei op 17 april 2017 om 19:32
The Orphan's Chamber (Weeskamer) was the institute which controlled the hereditary rights of the orphans. (It was not an actual orphan house, it was a supervisor).
Before marrying the second time there had to be given account to the chamber in order to secure the heir's rights.
Such a declaration would be noted in the margin of the Marriage Intention register (ondertrouwakte).
Read this doc for futher explanation (p.23 and 24):
https://archief.amsterdam/uitleg/handleidingen/handleiding_genealogie2007.pdf

The archives of this chamber are not yet online. See:
https://archief.amsterdam/inventarissen/inventaris/5073.nl.html
Rebecca Johnson
Rebecca Johnson zei op 17 april 2017 om 20:38
Thank you for the links Henk! How fascinating that the Dutch had such legal measures in place back then to protect the rights of heirs. It has sure provided a wealth of documents helpful for genealogy. I have learned so much in the last few days.
Rebecca Johnson
Rebecca Johnson zei op 20 oktober 2017 om 06:10
Hello again. At my request for digitisation the following are now available.
Archive: 5075 - Archives of Notaries at the Place of Amsterdam Inventory Number: 2030B - 1650 Jan. 13-1652 dec. 27 and Archive: 5075 - Archives of Notaries at the Place of Amsterdam Inventory Number: 2036 - Obligations, Quitants, Transfers, etc; 1649 August 13-1656 August 22; without index.

I believe the document that I was looking for, back in April, should be available now but I am not sure how to find it in all of the pages. Can anyone tell me if I have access to the right documents now? Or is the document that I am searching for still not available?
HenkD zei op 20 oktober 2017 om 16:52
Rebecca,
Looks like you've got the right documents in site.
But it is indeed a puzzle to find the right one.

The documents (always) start with:
“Compareerden voor mij, Salomon van Niewland, openbaer notaris tot Amsterdam xxx bij de xx van Holland geadmitteert,”

Then the body of the document starts. It will be a matter of searching through them all.
I'll look for a way to customize this a little.

Post Scriptum:
Earlier in this thread you stated:

“The marriage record for 29 Sep 1645 (I think 24th was a mistake) is here (entry on the top right)”. <link>

But you are not looking at the marriage record at all. And the date is not 29 sep 1645.
Actually it is the Marriage Intention register (ondertrouwregister) and the date is 9 sep 1645.
So 15 days later the marriage (normally) would have taken place -> on 24 sep 1645. Consider the 3 proclamotions.
Conclusion: “Stoffel and Trijntje Claes were married in the Old Church on September 24, 1645." states the date and place of the marriage correctly.

With kind regards
HenkD zei op 20 oktober 2017 om 20:05
Rebecca, the marriage intention date in your link states:
"dies 9 septimus 1645"
thus: 9 sep 1645.

Still this being a very interesting historic story of your ancestors -> and anxious to find out -> going on
Helena zei op 21 oktober 2017 om 05:06
It was a bit of a puzzle ..
https://archief.amsterdam/inventarissen/inventaris/5075.nl.html?p=2635&t=2635
Go to the relevant register -> 86 SALOMON VAN NIEUWLAND
The act can be found under 'Minuutacten van Verschillende acten' ->
2035 - Verschillende acten; 1650 Januari 12-1656 Augustus [ 572 bestanden] -> go to image 186 and 187. 3 pages long; you can download them.

[This browser (firefox) is having a 'fight' with me today and although the 'viewer' said 'loaded' it was not showing any scans here. Through IE it worked ok and the scans loaded alright for me].
Rebecca Johnson
Rebecca Johnson zei op 21 oktober 2017 om 05:20
Dear Helena. Thank you! Thank you! This is Christoffel Harmenszen's indenture contract. Yes? It looks it by the date and the length of the document and I see his name over and over as well as Trintge Claes which would mean it is after his will dated 1649.

Do I understand it right that the will, or Orphans document that mentions a will, dated 10 Jul 1649, are still not available? I had difficulty translating my request to have certain documents digitalised so I do not know if I now have access to the 1649 document or not.
Rebecca Johnson
Rebecca Johnson zei op 21 oktober 2017 om 05:20
How did you find it so quick?
Helena zei op 21 oktober 2017 om 05:50
To answer your last question: How did I find it... well, with a bit of patience and a quarter of an hour spare before I have to start cooking dinner her [ different time zone].. .it didn't take me long at all...
Of course you mentioned the name of the lawyer already before -> Salomon van Nieuwland. You also had the date in the beginning of your topic as 16 April 1652.
From here I first looked into the acts of 'attestatiën' as I thought it was more a sort of declaration or promise that Abraham de Wijs made on behalf of his family overseas. ..and of course I went to the year 1652 straight away ..alas, no luck. Nothing around April 1652 with this info.
The other option in my mind was to look into the 'verschillende acten' ( all different acts). The year 1652 was quicky found and from there I kept my eye focussed on the month, the name of Abraham de Wijs...or Potter his brother in law..

Re your question about the Orphans' document etc.. I don't know (yet). For sure it is a declaration he had to make as he was going into his 2nd marriage with Trijn Claes and children from a previous marriage had 'rights' that needed to be acknowlegded and protected. But there was a testament as you mentioned in one of your reacteions before.
Will have a look for that testament you mentiond [ Notary Judicq van der Vin and witnesses at Amsterdam July 10, 16491649?] later. Perhaps we have to look under notary Joost van de Ven [ = Judocus van de Ven]
(now I need to start cooking..)
Helena zei op 21 oktober 2017 om 06:05
And note: The marriage intention register can also be found via https://archief.amsterdam/indexen/index.nl.html -> Ondertrouwregister . Scans are in high resolution and clearer than the same registers via FS.
Rebecca Johnson
Rebecca Johnson zei op 21 oktober 2017 om 06:07
Thank you again. It would have taken me at least a day or two, all day, to scan through, line by line, looking for Christoffel Harmenszen and Trijntje Claes.

If you are able to find the 10 Jul 1649 document I will be amazed. This document holds many clues for the welfare of my 9th and 10th great-grandfathers.

My 10th great-grandfather, Christoffel Harmenszen, came to the United States and settled in a country which, today, has many hundreds and thousands of descendants who are thankful for his courage. Christoffel was killed by Indians in the Peach War and his son Gerret, my 9th great-grandfather, miraculously survived, and is father now to all of the Van Sants/Van Zants in the United States (name change happened after emigration from Holland).

I hope dinner turned out good.
Helena zei op 22 oktober 2017 om 02:08
Rebecca, - As I understand from what you are saying: there should be a testament 'made before Notary Judicq van der Vin and witnesses at Amsterdam July 10, 1649'. Is there any other reference available in the research paper you mentioned?

I think one should look at the records of Notary Joost van der Ven [ Joost / Judocus / and likely Judicq another variant of the same name ]. Via Inventaris Archief van de Notarissen te Amsterdam -> https://archief.amsterdam/inventarissen/inventaris/5075.nl.html?p=1403&t=1403 -> you can find Joost van der Ven. Scans are available.

I had a look and saw this register -> 1166 - 1649 Januari 1-1649 Juni 27; zonder index; Hierin **testamenten** en huwelijkse voorwaarden. -- Unfortunately it does not cover the date you are looking for [ 10 July 1649], but - who knows - perhaps it was recorded in another register that covers this date? [No transcriptions available (yet) ].
Helena zei op 22 oktober 2017 om 02:36
I think I found it. Joost van de Ven -> 1092 - 1649 Mei 1-1650 Juni 5;- met alphab.index.1649 - 1650 - go to scan 32 and 33.
It is a testament, dated [10th?] July 1649, and Stoffel Harmenszn and Trijntje Claes ' sijn wijf' [his wife] are mentioned in it [ see line 9 and 10]. Unfortunately I can only read the odd word or sentence, but not the whole testament. I understand it is important to you to find out what is in it. Perhaps someone else in this forum is able to help you with a full transcript ...or you could put your question in the other forum -> https://watstaatdaer.nl/forum Perhaps someone in that forum can help you with either a good summary of this testament or a full transcript?
HenkD zei op 22 oktober 2017 om 15:24
Hip hip hooray
For Helena.
Once again she's found the facts and the acts.
Petje af.
Rebecca zei op 22 oktober 2017 om 19:04
Helen you are amazing! Yes, indeed, that looks like the document. I can see the signatures for Christoffel Harmensz and Trijntje Claes on scan 33. I think I also see the name Gerret (the son) on scan 32 but I am not sure. I definitely see Christoffel and Trijntje on scan 32 about 10 lines down from the top.

I have the translation of the document but I never had the document. I like to have the actual source document to be sure the facts support the information I have. Thank you again! I now have everything I needed for Christoffel.
Helena zei op 22 oktober 2017 om 22:06
It was a pleasure to be able to help.
Note: Your ancestor's signature was - as quite normal in those days when many could not write- a sign [ often one placed a cross, or another scribble..]. I had a look at his 1st marriage intention in 1643 and his 2nd in 1645 and in both cases his 'signature' was a sign, although under the 2nd marriage intention is was the letter H. The sign under that testament in 1652 more or less similar to the one he 'signed' with under his 1st marriage intention.

F.Y.I.: In the future it will be so much easier to search in these notary archives as many volunteers are participating in the project -> indexing these Amsterdam - notary acts. Will be indexed on dates, types of acts, persons, and geographical locations. See: https://velehanden.nl/projecten/bekijk/details/project/amsterdam_notarieel_2 . As soon as the indexed info is online you can easily access them via the link : https://notarieel.archief.amsterdam/start . Of course I had a look first if this particular testament was already there, but no..[ not yet]. For the non-indexed yet one still has to search via the other link,.

In the Province of North-Brabant there are similar projects running; the following are still running
- Bossche schepenprotocollen
- Notariële akten in Brabant 1743-1935 (almost finished )
- De notariële archieven van Regionaal Archief Tilburg
Other projects in 'our' province have already been completed and the results have been incorporated in de search engines of the particular archives.
Rebecca zei op 22 oktober 2017 om 22:52
Helena. Thank you for that information about the indexing. Yes, that will make it so much easier if a person can search a name.

I had not thought to compare Christoffel's signatures but you are right. He has an interesting "mark" in that it looks like an upsidedown triangle with legs and feet. Strange that his 2nd marriage has an "H".

Reageer op dit verhaal

Heb je al een account? Log in met je gegevens.

Heb je nog geen account? Plaats zonder inloggen, of Registreer een account

Help spam voorkomen en los de volgende som op:
Geef mij een andere som.